Golang (or C/C++) Developer
Hey there! We’re looking for a Golang developer to join us at Safing, maybe that’s you?
Golang is not a hard requirement! If you have experience in C or C++ we’re sure you’ll quickly pick up Golang.
We're on a mission to enable online citizens to withstand todays mass surveillance, so everybody can reclaim their privacy and enjoy #cyberfreedom.
We are not striving to create a unicorn, which we can sell for a huge profit. Rather, we strive to be a sustainable business and have a meaningful impact in today’s Internet landscape. As we take our mission seriously, we are not only open sourcing our products, but are also open about our funding, influences and business model.
Safing develops three tools, which in unison equip everyday online citizens to withstand mass surveillance. We’re not solving every privacy problem out there, but we believe our approach tackles some root problems and will have a massive impact on peoples lives!
As we’re beginning to hire our first employees, we are looking for people who complement our team, helping out in areas where we have our greatest bottleneck: Golang Development.
What we’re looking for
This role involves lots of hands on, low level programming. As mentioned before, Golang is not a hard requirement, experience in C or C++ will suffice for you to quickly pick up Golang. Together with Daniel, our lead developer, you will work on further progressing our main products: Portmaster and Gate17. Daniel will guide you into the products, their architecture, the code and the workflow: conceptualizing, coding and testing.
Because Portmaster and Gate17 are both deeply rooted in the realm of network security, any experience in this realm is a big bonus. You should definitely know your way around protocols (TCP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, …) and firewalls (no brands, just how they work), as well as being intimate with how the Internet works on a network level.
Additionally, if you have ever worked with operating system internals, such as process handling or the network stack, you will have an easier time getting into our technology.
After you feel comfortable enough, you’ll quickly be able to take over responsibility over bigger features, hence you will have a great influence on the performance and impact of our products.
Because we are a small team with lots of responsibilities, it will be helpful if you are flexible and willing to adapt into related areas you feel comfortable with. This might include CI/CD Pipelines, Linux server maintenance, decentralized network infrastructure and performance optimization. This will happen naturally, and only after you feel confident in your current role, but we felt the need to point that out beforehand. After all, we are still in the startup phase.
Also, be prepared to collaborate with additional team members soon. We do have plans on expanding the team further, but again, all should grow naturally.
What this role involves:
- 🛠 Progressing two of our main products: Gate17 and Portmaster
- 🗣 Communicating with both the community as well as the developers to further improve and iterate our output
- 👩💻 Lots of freedom to take over responsibility of sub areas, or even evolving into the lead developer of a whole product
- 🚀 Growing into the team and growing with the team as our products evolve into giants
- 🌟 Having a real impact on software used by people around the world to protect their privacy and enjoy #cyberfreedom
We’re looking for someone who is
- passionate about our mission
- independent: we are a small team requiring a lot of independent work - this does not mean you will not receive help & guidance, but we cannot hold your hand and constantly tell you how things need to be done
- tech savvy: we admire people who submerge into code and really fix and improve the root cause of issues
- creative: likewise, we love people who can think out of the box and find new and different ways of solving problems
- a good communicator: we are on the verge of becoming a remote team - one of our founders will soon start working remotely - so expressing yourself in writing is a must
- opinionated & humble: we value people standing up for their ideas, yet are also happy to discard their former opinions when a better way of doing things presents itself
- happy to talk with our users: we are here to serve the people, hence it is crucial that you are interested in what they have to say
Jobs at Safing come with
- 🔥 making an impact
- 💵 35.000€ - 42.000€ annual salary
- 💻 a fully paid setup
- ⚖️ work-life balance: a healthy balance between work and recreation is essential - we also know that family is more important than work
- 🔍 transparency: as one of our core values, this is both true internally and externally
- ⚡️ modern technology
- 🌎 remote work (optional)
- 🏢 an office located in Baden, Lower Austria (optional). It’s only a 4 minute walk from the S-Bahn and Badner Bahn station.
How to apply
All jobs at Safing start with your application via email, where you can tell us a little bit about yourself. After that, we’ll have 1-2 short interviews and stay in touch after that. If it’s a good fit for both of us you can immediately start out with a paid trial (spanning 3 months), leading into full employment thereafter.